COVID-19 UPDATE – BUILDING PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS
Until further notice, City of Coalinga City Hall is closed for public access. Building Division staff will continue to provide limited building inspections, plan review and permit services during this time.
Building inspections will be conducted Monday through Thursday and limited to commercial projects supporting essential businesses, new construction and unoccupied structures. The City will not conduct inspections on the interior of an occupied residence unless to protect the immediate health and safety of its occupants.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detector inspections will be done by self-certification.
- Essential inspections within occupied spaces will be conducted as needed and at the discretion of the City. If possible, please postpone your inspection for a later date.
- Expiration dates of permits at this time should not be a concern, permit expiration dates will be adjusted as needed.
The City is currently processing permits for commercial projects supporting essential businesses, new construction and unoccupied structures on Monday’s ONLY. Please download the City of Coalinga Building Permit Application from our website and email it to the Building Department or drop off the application in the after hours mail drop in front of City Hall.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have plans that need review and do not fit in the after hours mail slot you must mail your plans to 155 W. Durian, Coalinga, CA 93210, ATTN: Building Department. Once staff has received your application you will be contacted by staff to schedule a time to pick up the permit
To schedule an appointment for an inspection or if have questions about a permit, please contact John Self at (559) 630-2536 or by email at email@example.com.
The Building and Safety Division oversees all phases of new building construction and performs a variety of inspections. The head of the division is the Chief Building Official.
The Building and Safety Division provides:
- Assurance of building safety for new buildings, additions, tenant improvements, etc.
- Building permit plan check
- Permit issuance
Additionally, Building and Safety maintains a historical permit and plan archive of thousands of construction documents. This section enforces the California Building Codes as amended by the City during adoption.
All permits require an appointment. To schedule an Inspection: 559-935-1533, ext. 146 (leave message and wait for a call back with available times).
Exempt, no building permit required:
- Cosmetic work, e.g. carpeting, painting, trim, and wall covering
- One story detached accessory buildings not on a permanent foundation such as a shed not exceeding 120 square feet
- Platforms, walkways, and driveways no more than 30 inches above ground, 10 feet from the curb face and not over a basement or story below
- Window awning project no more than 54 inches
Over the counter, same day processing:
- Any electrical, plumbing and mechanical upgrades or repairs
- Encroachment Permits (City sidewalks, driveways approaches, curbs, and gutters)
- Fireplace installation
- Portable spas
- Re-roofing (both overlay and tear-off)
Fast Track 5 to 10 working days:
- Additions to single family dwellings
- Foundation replacement/repair
- Garages, storage buildings, decks, carports, patio covers
- Minor structural repair
- Residential Swimming pools and spas
- Single family dwelling of conventional light frame construction
Normal Processing, depending on size of project (approximately 4 weeks):
- Major alterations, additions, and structural upgrading
- Projects that require planning review and approval (i.e. setbacks, heights, and land use)
- Second story additions