Breakfast with the Chiefs

Reminder - Breakfast with the Chiefs (and City Manager) on the first Tuesday of each month at 9:00am at Cafe 101. Hope to see you there!!

Understanding Impact Fees

A impact fee is a charge on new development to pay for the construction or expansion of off-site capital improvements that are necessitated by and benefit the new development. Impact fees, as we know them today, first came onto the scene in Florida and California during the late 1970s as a result of taxpayer revolts and reductions in federal and state aid for local infrastructure. In California, the extent of cities and counties using impact fees is over 90%.

In the City of Coalinga, a developer is responsible for paying approximately $25,900 (based on a 2,000 sq ft home) in impact fees in order to construct a new home. Approximately $13,283 are City impact fees for wastewater treatment and disposal, water treatment, storage and distribution, police services, fire services, streets, thoroughfares and brides, storm drainage, parks, community facilities, and a habitat conservation fee. The remaining $12,617 is collected by the Coalinga-Huron Unified School District, Coalinga-Huron Recreation and Park District, and the Fresno Council of Governments.

Staff conducted a review of 29 jurisdictions in the state of California and found that the City of Coalinga was one of the lowest jurisdictions when it came to total impact fees charged to a developer for the construction of a new single-family home.

Do you have a street light out in your neighborhood?

Report a Street Light Outage or Problem

Nearly 670,000 street lights illuminate highways and city streets in Pacific Gas and Electric Company's service territory. PG&E provides street light maintenance service for approximately 36,000 lights owned by cities, counties, the state and various agencies. The remainder are owned and maintained by others.

Noticed a street light in need of maintenance? Find out which agency owns the street light and report a street light problem.

Here's how

First, check this list to determine if a city, county or agency maintains the street light in question. This will ensure that you contact the right party and get the fastest response to your problem.

For a single light problem, use form for single lights. For more than one light problem, use form for multiple lights.