I’ve had a death in the family. Do I use my vacation leave to attend the services?

Bereavement leave with pay shall be granted to all regular and probationary employees upon the death of a family member. Family members are defined to include:

  • Any relative living in the same permanent residence as the employee
  • Aunt
  • Brother
  • Brother-in-Law
  • Children
  • Father
  • Father-in-Law
  • Grandchildren
  • Grandfather
  • Grandmother
  • Husband
  • Mother
  • Mother-in-Law
  • Sister
  • Sister-in-Law
  • Stepchildren
  • Stepfather
  • Stepmother
  • Uncle
  • Wife

Such leave of absence is not to exceed three days, or five days if out-of-state travel is required except for non-clerical, non-exempt Fire Department employees. For these employees, bereavement leave shall be on a calendar day basis. However, an employee may use up to three days of accrued sick leave in accordance with this Section in addition to bereavement leave.

Show All Answers

1. I was injured at work. What do I do?
2. How do I enroll in direct deposit?
3. What do I do if I obtain a second job?
4. Can I see my personnel file?
5. I am bilingual. Shouldn’t I be getting bilingual pay?
6. I’ve had a death in the family. Do I use my vacation leave to attend the services?
7. How do I file for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA) or Pregnancy Disability Leave Act (PDL)?
8. I have exhausted all of my FMLA, CFRA and/or PDL and I am not yet cleared by my physician to return to work. What do I do?
9. I have a conference with my son’s teacher on a day that I am scheduled to work. What do I do?
10. Can I use my sick leave to stay home and care for my ill child?
11. I would like to vote in the upcoming election, but I am scheduled to work. Doesn’t my supervisor have to let me leave early so I have a chance to vote?
12. want to make a change to my health insurance. How do I do that?
13. I would like to enroll in the ICMA 457 deferred compensation plan. When is open enrollment?